|| memory speed comparison
Have you ever wondered how much difference different types of RAM really make to system performance?, I certainly have, and I decided that I would test this out. Unfortunately I only had access to a SDRAM based system so I could not test out DDR RAM or RAMBUS.
For the testing I decided to use tow of the most widely used(and free) benchmarking programs, 3DMark2001, and SiSoft SANDRA. In 3DMark I only performed the game benchmarks, as none of the other tests are good indicators of overall system speed. From SANDRA, I ran the Floating Point, and Integer memory benchmark tests. All tests where repeated three times with an average being taken, the system was rebooted after each test run. I decided I would test the following memory speeds:
I also tried 140MHz CAS2, which produced impressive memory benchmarks. however the system would not complete 3DMark2001, so I disregarded the results.
The test system was:
- 100 MHz CAS3
- 100 MHz CAS2
- 133 MHz CAS3
- 133 MHz CAS2
For each test as well as the raw result I calculated a percentage improvement over 100Mhz CAS3.
- Processor: AMD Athlon 1GHz(10*100)
- Motherboard: Abit KT7-A RAID
- Memory: 2x 256MB Crucial CAS2 PC133 DIMMs
- Hard Drive: IBM DeskStar 75GXP 30GB
- Video Card: Elsa Geforce 3
- Sound Card: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Player 1024
- Network Card: SMC 1255TX 10/100 PCI
- Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 2
top | index | next page >